Dr. David Nazarian
December 13, 2019
Causes of Low Sex Drive
One’s libido will inevitably fluctuate throughout the years. This is true for both men and women as both go through life changes and experiences that can affect their sex drive. From biological changes to major life events, one’s libido will not be constant indefinitely. There may be some differences in the causes of a low sex drive between men and women, but there are also a number of factors that are the same for both men and women.
Factors that Affect Both Men and Women
- Medications: Sometimes the medications (anti-depressants and some heart medications) you are on can affect your sex drive. If the medication is necessary, you may want to discuss options with your doctor. On the other hand, if the medication is not necessary you should consider nixing it and finding a comparable alternative.
- Diseases: Numerous diseases can affect one’s sex drive, including arthritis, cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure, coronary artery disease, and neurological diseases.
- Pain During Sex: If you feel major pain during sex for any reason, this is clearly going to deter you from wanting to have sex.
- Drugs or Alcohol: While the occasional glass of wine or cigarette may not have a major impact on your sexual health overall, excessive use will. Too much alcohol or smoking can decrease your blood flow and reduce the ability for you to get aroused. Take caution when drinking and using drugs more than usual.
- Fatigue: Life can be tiring at times and this will inevitably affect your desire for sex. If you are caring for dependents (children or aging parents) it’s likely going to be busy with little time for intimacy.
- Mental Health: Depression and/or anxiety can eviscerate one’s sex drive.
For women, the following factors may affect one’s sex drive:
- Menopause: Estrogen levels lower during menopause and this will affect your sex drive. The hormonal changes can also result in vaginal dryness which can impact one’s ability to enjoy sex as it may be painful. While many women still enjoy sex after menopause, the transitional period can have negative effects on a woman’s libido.
- Pregnancy and Breastfeeding: Pregnancy and post-pregnancy are times filled with major hormonal changes. This results in fatigue and lowered sex drive. Women may also feel unhappy with their body image which can be an additional factor of their lowered sex drive.
For men, the following factors may affect one’s sex drive:
- Lowered Levels of Testosterone: As men age, their testosterone levels decrease. With the decrease in testosterone, their sexual drive lowers. This is a natural part of aging. However, if there is a drastic change, checking in with a medical professional is likely necessary.
Natural Hormone Replacement Therapy
One option to help with lowered libido in both men and women is Natural Hormone Replacement Therapy (NHRT). NHRT is a medical procedure that replaces lowered hormones. This can be due to age or medical issues. NHRT is available and effective for both men and women. Some of the lost hormones for which NHRT replaces include estrogen, testosterone, progesterone, and estradiol.
Natural Hormone Replacement Therapy in Los Angeles, California
If you have experienced lowered sex drive and want to see if NHRT is right for you, contact Natural Hormone Replacement Therapy Los Angeles. Natural Hormone Replacement Therapy Los Angeles uses bioidentical hormones that are identical to the molecules produced in your own body. The methods of administration depend on the specific type of hormone treatment and unique medical needs of the patients. However, NHRT can be administered orally, through a topical or vaginal lotion, a vaginal ring, tablets, or transdermal patches.
Even if you are unsure about whether you want to have NHRT, contact Natural Hormone Replacement Therapy Los Angeles for a consultation and get all of your questions answered. Dr. David Nazarian and his team of experts are eager to help everyone get back to their regular sex drive and living life to the fullest. He specializes in hormone replacement therapy and is one of the most trusted doctors in the area. He has extensive training and experience and is passionate about patient care and outcomes.